Monday, December 17, 2012

Gingerbread Men


Dearest readers, I know I know...how can you forgive me after such a long break? How can you trust that I will continue giving you delicious dessert recipes that will send your tongue longing for more?! Well, I'll just have to give you some extra amazing recipes just in time for Christmas!!

It's been tough I will admit. I've been trying recipes from all over the web I promise! But I just can't give them to you. None have come out amazing. Some have been disasters, some have been just alright, but no I say! You deserve better than just alright!!

Some of you know that I go to culinary school. Going has blessed me with so many amazing recipes that I just can't keep to myself! This is one of those recipes....and the recipe I give to you today is.....(drumroll please!)...gingerbread men! (Not much of a surprise since it's the title.....). 

Here's the thing, I didn't make gingerbread men since I don't have a gingerbread men cookie cutter, I made NINJAbread men! Even better. They chop your sweet buds into submission with the perfect basic gingerbread recipe.

Come on, who wouldn't want a plate of these cute little guys on their counter? I obviously couldn't keep away. Didn't even get to take the pics before I had eaten a couple...few...bunch.


 

--------------------------------------------------

Gingerbread Men
Yield: 10 dozen gingerbread men

Ingredients: 
1 lb Shortening
2 lb Granulated Sugar
1 lb Brown Sugar
3/4 oz Baking Soda
3 oz Molasses, dark
1/2 oz Salt
8 Whole Eggs (or 1 lb eggs)
3 lbs Pastry Flour (cake flour)
1/4 oz Ginger
1/4 oz Cinnamon

Method:

1) Place shortening, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and molasses in an electric mixing bowl. Using the paddle attachment, cream together at slow speed until smooth. Scrape down bowl.

2) Add the eggs and continue to cream at slow speed until light and smooth.

3) Sift together the flour, ginger and cinnamon. Add to the above mixture slowly, mix at slow speed until the dough is very smooth. Scrape down the bowl at least once during this mixing stage.

4) Remove dough from the mixer and divide into 1 lb 8 oz units. Refrigerate until chilled. Each unit will make around 3 dozen gingerbread men. Use whenever you want the cookies.

5) Remove the one unit of dough from the refrigerator at a time. Roll out about 1/4-1/2 inch thick onto a floured counter top and cut with a cookie cutter.

6) Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle the cookies with sugar (however much you'd like).

7) Bake for 400 degrees for 2 mintues, turn the pan, and for another 3 or 4 minutes until they are lightly browned on the edges. Watch these cookies very carefully, they will burn easily.

-------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy!!





1 comment:

  1. Could I substitute something for the shortening? Maybe butter or palm shortening? I have been staying away from shortening for health reasons.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete